Summer means travel for you and your family. While it’s all fun and exciting, it also means more time away, leaving your home and your belongings vulnerable to burglaries. There are ways you can protect your home, even if you will be gone for an extended period of time.
Home Security Checks to Perform Before Leaving
While home security should be a top priority year round, summer is a peak times for burglaries, so you need to step up your defenses. Before you head out for your summer vacation, make sure to perform these critical tasks on your checklist:
- Install a Home Security System – Summer is a great time to install a security system. You will want to give yourself a little time between travel and installation. A security system will provide you with added peace of mind while you are away.
- Inform Your Alarm Monitoring Service – If you already have a home security system, do not forget to tell the monitoring service you will be away (and give them the dates). Let your security service know who has authorized access to your home while you are away and provide the service with your contact information in case of an emergency.
- Use Home Automation Systems – Home automation systems allow you to put your home on a timer. You can have lights turn on and off at specific times and even program your comfort systems to activate as you are on your way home, so everything is warm and well-lit for your arrival.
- Put Mail and Newspapers on Hold – Nothing tells burglars you are away more than piled up mail and newspapers. Put any delivery services on hold or ask a neighbor to pick up the paper and mail so that you are not leaving a tell-tale sign you are gone.
- Check All Entry Points – Check all entry points to your home and ensure they are locked. This includes basement entrances, attic windows, second-floor windows, etc.
- Inform the Neighbors – Let your neighbors or the head of your neighborhood watch program know you will be away and ask if they could keep an eye on things for you.
- Do Not Publicly Announce Your Travel Plans – Avoid the temptation to announce you will be away online or publicly. Burglars monitor the web, especially social media, to see where you check-in, if you plan to travel and how long your house will be vacant.
Learn more about how you can protect your home while you travel or get a free home assessment from your local home security professionals.
Protect your home while you travel this summer by installing a security system. Call CSS for a free consultation today.
Latest posts by Lauren M. (see all)
- Why Dog Families Still Need Security Systems - October 1, 2018
- Environmental Sensors are a Must in Home Security. Here’s Why. - September 16, 2018
- Tips for National Disaster Preparedness Month - September 8, 2018