New Jersey alarm system customers: Do you know what burglars really want in your home? If not, it’s time to find out. We did some research, and we found that combined data from the U.S. Department of Justice and the FBI reveal that the top items burglars want to steal include:
- Electronics, including tablets, video game consoles, iPods and smartphones
- Jewelry, which can be pawned for quick cash or melted down if it contains gold
- Firearms, which may be sold or traded unless the criminal wants to keep them
- Laptops, which can be sold quickly on Craigslist or at outdoor swap meets
- Medications, which addicted burglars may use unless they can sell them
And then, there’s cash. If a burglar can get his hands on any cash you have in the home, that eliminates the need to steal items for selling on the black market in the first place. If you have a large cash reserve in your home, you may consider putting it in the bank instead. That really is the safest place for it to be.
All things considered, everyone has things in their home that burglars want to steal. You can store your valuable property in a safe, which is especially effective if it is fireproof and secured to your floor. However, an even more effective way to keep burglars from stealing your property is to keep your security system armed when you leave the house.
You may be surprised how many security system owners still become victims of burglary, simply because they forgot to arm their system before leaving home. If you are our New Jersey alarm system customer, please don’t let this happen to you! Arm your system every time you leave the house, so you can be certain an intruder will not be successful at breaking in.
Latest posts by Lauren M. (see all)
- Burglary and Property Crime in New Jersey - February 1, 2018
- Time to Supercharge Your Business? It’s Time for Business Automation. - January 21, 2018
- Criminals Think Family Decal Stickers are Great, Too - January 2, 2018